Services for the Unhoused
Help for Unsheltered Pet Families
C.A.R.E.4Paws’ Companion Pet Assistance program offers support for pet families experiencing homelessness. This includes provision of pet food and supplies, basic grooming and access to free and low-cost vaccines, flea treatment, spays/neuters, medical care and microchips. We collaborate with several partners, including Street Dog Coalition and Central Coast Partnership for Animal Welfare (CCPAW), to help improve the welfare of unsheltered pet families.
Food & Supply Access Points
We visit Alameda Park in Santa Barbara (1400 Santa Barbara Street) every Thursday at 5pm to provide pet meals, flea treatment and supplies, such as pet bedding and jackets. Every first Thursday of the month, A’s Mobile Grooming joins us to provide free baths and nail trims. Learn more about this service below.
Pet Resource Centers
At our many Pet Resource Centers, which we co-operate with other animal groups and human welfare agencies, pet families in need can pick up food and supplies and sign up for critical mobile clinic services.
- Santa Barbara County Animal Services shelter, 1501 W. Central Avenue (Tuesdays, 2:30pm-4:30pm or call 805-737-7755)
- Bridge House, a Good Samaritan Shelter, 2025 Sweeney Road (call first, 805-735-4390)
- Santa Barbara County Animal Services shelter, 5473 Overpass Road (Monday-Saturday, 9am-4:45pm, closed from 11am-noon, 805-681-5285)
- Santa Barbara Rescue Mission, 535 E. Yanonali Street
- Isla Vista Community Service District, 970 Embarcadero Del Mar (Wednesday and Friday from 12:30pm-2:30pm)
- Showers of Blessing, 6586 Picasso Road
- Unity Shoppe, 1209 State Street/1401 Chapala Street
- Good Samaritan Shelter, 401 W. Morrison Avenue, #C (Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 3:00pm-5:00pm)
- Santa Barbara County Animal Services’ Santa Maria Animal Center, 548 W. Foster Road (Monday-Saturday, 9am-4:45pm, closed from 11am-noon, 805-934-6119)
Solvang & Santa Ynez Valley
- Santa Ynez People Helping People, 545 N. Alisal Road (Monday-Thursday from 8am-5:30pm)
When you live on the streets or in your car, it can be impossible to find a way to bathe your four-legged companion.
In Santa Barbara, A’s Mobile Dog Grooming joins C.A.R.E.4Paws every first Thursday of the month at Alamed Park (at 5pm) to provide baths and nail trims specifically for pets of the unsheltered. In Santa Maria, we offer grooming through a partnership with Doggie Parlour. Parts of these services are generously sponsored by our supporter Bill Basiliko.
Mobile Community Medicine
Pet Wellness Clinic services
C.A.R.E.4Paws’ unsheltered clients have access to free vaccines, flea treatment, dewormer, nail trims and microchips during regular Pet Wellness Clinics hosted in Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo Counties through our Mobile Community Medicine & Spay/Neuter Outreach program. Walk-in clinics run from 10am to 1pm.
We also provide assistance with medical care (by prior appointment) in our mobile clinics. This includes spaying/neutering, dental care, mass removals and treatment of wounds and skin, ear and eye infections.
Once a month, we host events with Street Dog Coalition and Central Coast Partnership for Animal Welfare (CCPAW) to provide a range of pet wellness services for the unhoused. No prior appointment is required for families to be seen during these partnership events.